BEHS Databases and eBooks
EBSCOhost - provided by Badgerlink & BEHS - There are at least four databases on the list that will work well for this assignment. Make sure to read the description and select what makes the most sense.
CQ Researcher and CQ Global Research - Make sure to pay attention to the date. Each report contains "Bibliography," "Next Step," and "Contacts." These provide you with background sources that you might find in EBSCOhost.
SIRS Knowledge Source - Subject searching works well here.
Pick Facts Not Opinions
For this assignment you need to stick with factual articles and stay away from opinions, blogs, and editorials. You do not want anything that tries to pursuade you to accept the author's point of view.
Focus Your EBSCOhost Search
1. Use the Advanced Search feature.
2. Only use words or short phrases that are very specific. Stay away from articles (a, an the). Brainstorm a few before you start and add to the list as you go along.
3. You can limit your search by date, number of pages, type of publication, and whether or not you require full-text.
4. If you don't know if your source is "scholarly" click on the title and a screen appears that describes the publication.
--Popular magazine written for the average reader is called "periodical."
--Periodical written for a worker in the field is called "trade publication."
--Periodical written by experts for a scholar is called "academic journal."
5. Newspapers are popular sources.